Ok, so here we are. I have a blog. And I'm totally terrified.

I don't exactly know why I'm here. I thought this could be a good way to document my transition from Down Under to my London life. But given I started this six months into my new home, I'm thinking I could have missed the best bits.

And I don't really have any useful tips on how to manage your life (I'm starting my own story six months late) and my insights into world affairs are limited to mainstream media, so I don't think there's much I can offer there.

But I did promise myself I would write more. So here I am. With my own blog. Writing.

And that seems good enough.

Thursday 31 December 2009

Resolve

It’s 11.00am on New Year’s Eve in London, and already I can see from Facebook status updates that celebrations are well and truly underway in my old neck of the woods.

Meanwhile, I still haven’t decided what I’ll be doing tonight. I’ve never been good with the pressure of New Year’s Eve – the expectation to celebrate in some spectacular manner generally results in me holding out too long before committing to a plan (to the universal frustration of my friends who are good enough to still invite me to things).

I also don’t do New Year’s resolutions. Officially, it’s because I think resolutions tend to mask symptoms of a bigger problem. Truthfully, it’s because I have terrible willpower and break resolutions at the first juncture, when I’m supposed to be saying no to that drink. Ironically, the only New Year's resolution I've ever been able to keep is giving up New Year's resolutions.

So instead, I name the year. The idea is that I give the year a theme and all decisions I make ideally should somehow relate to that theme. It’s all about self-betterment (that totally shouldn’t be a word).

I started naming the year after my first trip to Europe actually, back in 2003. That solo trip left me in such awe of a world so different to home that I was inspired to find out more. Much more.

So 2004 became the Year of Learning. I took up Spanish (I didn’t want to touch Italian after the bastardi scammed me dry). I was back at university. I even started learning the Djembe (an African drum, which, upon deeper consideration, I perhaps should have realised would have little practical merit in my day-to-day life. Still, I felt edgy). In short I took as much of the world in as I could from my isolated corner.

It was such a revelation that I continued naming years. 2005 was the Year of Change (in which I changed jobs and living situation…and I gave up the Djembe), followed by the Year of Financial Responsibility – which in truth only lasted as long as my first credit card bill and then became the Year of Spontaneity.

By this time last year, I had worked out I was onto a pretty good thing. So I decided to tempt fate and name 2009 the Year of My Life. I wasn’t disappointed.

I mean, it wasn’t necessarily the best time of my life, but it was certainly a watershed year. I’ve moved hemispheres, survived the global financial crisis, travelled the world participating in best friends’ weddings, learnt hard lessons about the fragility of life, said some tough goodbyes and, importantly, met some amazing people along the way.

Frankly, the Year of My Life was a little exhausting.

But it has set me up for a cracker 2010. I’m totally sold that it will be a great year. I’m in London! I’m earning pounds! I’m turning 30! (I’m totally at peace with it). And as I’ve said earlier, it’s a year of possibilities. Provided I’m open to them.

So I’ve decided to name 2010 the Year of Taking Chances. Basically getting out there and gorging myself on whatever the world dishes up.

In the scariest thing I’ve done since agreeing to sing ‘Dancing in the Streets’ at a college black tie function (I failed miserably), I’ve started this blog (and yes, I know it’s technically still ’09. Stop being astute). My contract is up for renewal in late March – maybe I’ll say 'no thanks' and try my hand at the next thing on offer. Maybe I’ll write something for publication.

I don’t know exactly what I’ll do yet. But I guess that’s the point of taking chances.

And the brilliant thing is, it means I don’t have to give anything up.

So cheers everybody! Here’s to a great New Year.

2 comments:

  1. Ilove you idea of the naming of the year, we have not heard from you since we saw in the Australian New Year with you over skype, so you must have found something to do and are still doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great note Michael... and here is to 2010!

    A year of taking chances, change and taking on what ever life throws at you!

    See you soon!!!
    xox

    ReplyDelete